Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Interview with 2015 EVAs Finalist Justine Neuberger

Justine Neuberger, Oberlin College
Justine Neuberger, one of six finalists in the 2015 AICUO Excellence in the Visual Art Awards competition, recently participated in a brief interview. Be sure to check out her portfolio at http://www.aicuoartaward.com/aicuoEVAs15/portfolio.aspx?pID=109!

How have you grown as an artist since coming to college?

I have been able to think about contemporary art making in the context of art history. I have also been exposed to many new ideas, which have challenged me and made me think closely about why and how I paint. 

What type of art do you look to for inspiration?

Byzantine murals, Duccio, Grünewald, Caravaggio, El Greco,
Rubens, Jan Steen, Frans Haals, Chardin, ​
 Velasquez, Goya, Manet,  
​Picasso's paintings of Pierrot and Harlequin, Watteau, Courbet, ​
 
"Selbstbildnis mit Rasierschaum 
​" by Rudolph Wacker, G
ino S
everini
​ 
​'s paintings of clowns, ​Brian de Palma, Harmony Korine, Herschell Gordon Lewis, Howard Stern, 
Audrey Flack, Burger King, Lie Detector Test Television 
​, Footage of block parties on public access tv, Books. ​
     


What is your favorite piece within the portfolio you submitted to AICUO and why?

My favorite piece in the portfolio I submitted is Thanksgiving Bliss. I made it around Thanksgiving when I was away from my family, so it had a nostalgic feel. I also loved painting all glistens on the meat. 

How has participating in this competition helped you develop as a professional artist?

This competition has helped me realize some of my ideas as I wrote about each piece and how they related to a main theme and to each other.  

What are your plans after graduation with the arts?

After I graduate I would like to get a dog and work on a collaborative project in which I dip the dog's paws into neon paint and have her walk along the surface of my canvas. Then I would like to contribute to these initial marks with my own.
​ 
Just joking (I think I saw Riff Raff suggest something similar on GGN)! I just hope to be in a place where I can keep painting and showing work.  ​

No comments:

Post a Comment